WSQ Technical Writing Skills
Written communication skills are vital at the work place. However, business writing is different from the English grammar, composition and literature taught in schools. When adults in the working world write business e-mails, they naturally draw on what they learnt in schools as well as on precedent office correspondence. But such writing tends to contain commercial language and what was learnt in school is often contrary to good business style. Business writing is in essence concise writing that is a blend of practical basics and skilled insight.
At the end of this 1-day workshop, participants will be able to:
1. Understand and avoid the common errors in technical writing
2. Employ guided technical writing skills
3. Acquire practice in writing technical reports
4. Write clear and convincing reports
5. Format their technical reports effectively
1. Problems Faced by Technical Writers
2. Ten Cs of Effective Technical writing
3. Writing Concisely
4. Guidelines for Better Writing
5. 7PS of the Writing Process
6. Effective Openings of Reports
7. Effective Closings of Reports
8. Format of Letters and Reports
9. Organizing Reports
10. Problem Solving and Project Status Reports
11. Proposal to Purchase and Incident/Accident Report
12. Convincing Your Reader(s)
13. How to make a heavy Technical Report more stimulating
14. Editing Your Report
15. Checklist of effective Technical Writing techniques
*Course fees before GST
Note that purchases of goods and services from GST-registered businesses before 1 Jan 2023 will be subject to GST at 7%, and purchases on or after 1 Jan 2023 will be subject to GST at 8%.
1. All notice of transfer/withdrawal / deferment must be given in writing and submitted at least 2 weeks prior to course commencement.
2. An administrative fee of $60 (GST inclusive) will be imposed if notice is received less than 2 weeks.
3. If notice of withdrawal is received:
- At least 1 week before commencement of the course, a 20% of the full course fee will be charged. For government-funded course, a 20% of full course fee before funding will be charged.
- Less than 1 week before commencement of the course, a 30% of the full course fee will be charged. For government-funded course, a 30% of full course fee before funding will be charged.
- No show on the scheduled date, a full course fee will be levied. For government-funded course, a full course fee before funding will be charged.
4. For all government-funded programmes (WSQ & Non-WSQ), funding is only applicable to:
- Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents.
- Participants who have achieved at least 75% attendance and passed all required assessments.
- Full course fee will be charged to participants who fail to meet the above-mentioned criteria.
5. Certificates or Statement of Attainment or Certificate of Attendance will only be issued to participants who have achieved 75% attendance and undergo assessment (if applicable).
6.When a course is cancelled, fails to commence or fails to complete under unforeseen circumstances, participant is allowed to defer the intake at no cost or withdraw from the course; under such situation, a full refund of the advance payment will be given.
7. Notice of change in participant’s name must be given in writing, 1no less than 5 days prior to course commencement.
8. SMF reserves the right to change the venue, cancel or postpone the event without prior notice and full refund will be given under such circumstances. Such modifications shall become effective immediately upon the posting thereof. Please approach your account manager for more queries.